Head of Design
We are looking for a kick-ass Head of Design to lead the design team as we continue our greatest adventure yet, bringing Mailbird from Windows to all platforms with our new flagship product, Mailbird Next!
Mailbird is a fast-moving, award-winning company that focuses on making email management as easy and enjoyable as it can be, especially in a multi-email accounts context. At Mailbird we value impact, being data and experiment driven, learning, collaboration and having fun while doing it. With 20 nationalities located all over the world, you will find yourself in a truly and fully remote international environment, where engagement, values, and job satisfaction are goals of equal importance to the financial goals of the company.
As the Head of Design at Mailbird, you will be the primary person responsible for all design work and will be able to put your mark on everything. You will lead our design team, which to start with will consist of you, a senior designer and a number of freelancers, but in the longer term we expect the team to grow further, to cope with the workload of having a product on different platforms and markets all over the world.
To perform well in this role you should have experience leading and managing a design team, as well as a willingness to be hands-on and work on design tasks yourself as needed. Since we work remotely, a high degree of ownership and responsibility is also required.
- Lead and manage the design team, including external freelancers, as we work on both Mailbird itself, the website, branding, marketing initiatives, promotions etc. Always with the highest attention to detail.
- Nurture a positive working environment and work with HR to develop training programs to help the people in your team grow.
- Lead the design of a new website to fit with our new product.
- Help carry out and continually improve our products based on user feedback.
- Work on a rebranding plan for Mailbird as a company. We have ideas for a new logo, colors etc.
- Ensure that everything a user touches looks modern, attractive, polished and is easy to use - following best practices and established UX guidelines.
- You are an experienced designer, with 8+ years of professional experience. Some of that experience as a leader and manager of a team.
- You can work to produce the best results both in a team and independently.
- Solid foundational visual design skills - e.g. typography, layout, colour and information hierarchy.
- You are an expert in human-computer interaction and design principles, and interested in understanding user needs in-depth.
- The ability to think creatively and deliver clever concepts with pixel-perfect accuracy and a high attention to detail.
- You have a meticulous mind and a strive for perfection.
- You are good with technology and using different tools to get the job done.
- You are very comfortable working remotely and you understand the benefits but also the drawbacks that comes with it.
- You have worked in a smaller company before and are happy taking on a lot of varied tasks.
- You are hands-on and love getting your hands dirty, but also know when it's best to delegate.
- You enjoy communicating regularly with people of different cultures in various time zones.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills.
- You have excellent verbal and written English skills.
Benefits of working with us
- Competitive contractor pay.
- 40+ paid days off a year.
- Flexible hours and freedom within the job.
- Time off bonuses.
- Health days.
- Team building.
- A chance to work with an exceptional international team that is highly productive, creative and fun!
- A place where you can get things done. No unnecessary meetings or admin work.